Spicy Warm Bacon and Spinach Dip
Makes: 6 servings (about 3 cups)
Total Time: 50 minutes
Hands-On Time: 30 minutes
Nice to Know: This recipe can be doubled to serve a larger crowd.
Cook the bacon and onion in a large frying pan and bake
in an 8-by-8-inch baking dish.
4 regular or thick-cut bacon slices, small dice
1/2 medium yellow onion, small dice
2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess liquid squeezed out
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 3 ounces)
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup whole milk
Crackers, breadsticks, crostini, or chips, for serving
- Arrange a rack in the middle and heat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the bacon in a medium frying pan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisped and browned, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan.
- Return the pan to medium heat, add the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chipotles and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach and measured salt and stir to combine. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon for sprinkling. Add the remaining bacon to the pan. Add 3/4 cup of the cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, and milk, and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a 1-quart baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese evenly over the top, then sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of bacon.
- Bake until the cheese on top is melted, the edges are bubbling, and the dip is heated through, about 20 minutes.