The last time I tested Thanksgiving dishes, my team came up with a brilliant idea: roast a butterflied whole turkey right over the stuffing. It was easy, delicious, and you ended up with 2 dishes in one. My version mashes up roast chicken, stuffing, and chicken parm into one dish: toss together cherry tomatoes, bread cubes, and Parmesan cheese, then top with chicken thighs and bake. The cherry tomatoes get sweet and pop open, and the juices from the chicken drip down to moisten the stuffing. When the chicken's ready, take it off to rest and bake the stuffing with a layer of mozzarella on top because, well, it's not chicken parm without ooey, gooey cheese. (Click "Read More" below for the full recipe.)
Roasted CHicken Parmesan
Makes: 4 to 6 servings
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Hands-On Time: 25 minutes
What to Buy: Purchase fresh bread for this recipe as
day-old bread will be too dry.
1 pound grape or small cherry tomatoes
8 ounces unsliced crusty bread, such as French or Italian, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 5 to 6 thighs)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
4 fresh basil leaves
- Arrange a rack in the middle and heat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the tomatoes, bread, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the olive oil, oregano, and garlic in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Remove and set aside 1 tablespoon of the mixture. Drizzle the remaining mixture over the bread and tomatoes and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss to combine, transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, and spread into an even layer; set aside.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Rub the remaining oregano mixture all over the chicken. Season the chicken generously on all sides with salt and pepper. Place the chicken skin-side up on top of the bread. Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan.
- Roast until the chicken is golden brown on top and a instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the thickest piece registers 165°F, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a serving platter and tent loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Stir the stuffing to evenly moisten it with the pan juices. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more.
- Tear the basil leaves into small pieces and scatter over the bread. Serve with the chicken.