Farro and Beet Salad
Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
Hands-On Time: 30 minutes
What to Buy: Farro is a whole-grain with a nutty flavor and can be found in the bulk section of well-stocked grocery stores. If you can’t find it, kamut makes a decent substitute, but it will take about 30 minutes longer to cook.
If you cannot find beets with tops attached, you can substitute 1 pound of loose beets and 8 ounces of any kind of leafy green.
Nice to Know: This salad can be made and refrigerated up to 4 hours ahead.
1 bunch small yellow beets with their tops attached (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 cup farro
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 kosher salt, plus more as needed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
3 ounces ricotta salata cheese, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 375°F.
- Cut the leafy tops from the beets and set aside. Rinse the beets , then place them on a sheet of aluminum foil. Wrap tightly to completely cover and place on a baking sheet.
- Roast until knife-tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Transfer to a wire rack, unwrap, and set aside to cool. While the beets are roasting, prepare the farro, dressing, and beet greens.
- Bring a large saucepan of heavily salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the farro, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Make the dressing: Place 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the shallots, vinegar, mustard, measured salt, and measured pepper in a large bowl and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Wash the reserved beet greens, dry, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces; set aside. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the beet greens, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted and tender, about 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- When the farro is ready, drain well in a colander. Re-whisk the dressing, add the warm farro to the bowl, and stir to combine.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut them into medium dice. Transfer to the bowl with the farro, add the reserved beet greens and ricotta salata, and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm or at room temperature.